Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hemmed Jeans

I thrifted a pair of jeans this weekend that were a few inches too long. I was unable to preserve the original hem as they were obviously too long for the last wearer, too and the hem was shredded.



After a failed attempt on one leg which required much seam ripping, I am pretty pleased with the result. A perfectly attractive hem 3 1/2 inches higher than the last one. Now to begin wearing them to make the hems look as distressed as the rest of the jeans.




I started off following this tutorial, which I followed closely on one leg. I would not recommend cutting the notches out of the fabric, as I left that step out on the other leg with a much neater result and no extra difficulty. I also invested the $4 on the unfortunately named Jean-A-Ma-Jig which came with it's own clear instructions for sewing over seams. Success! I might do this again if I find some more cheap-ass tall people jeans.

No comments: