Sunday, January 22, 2012

Turning garbage into dinner

It's broth day! I keep vegetable scraps that are too nice to compost in a freezer bag. When I have a gallon, I cover the whole mess with water, and boil until the water looks like broth.


This is a pretty good representation of what usually goes in the veggie broth- Can you spot onion trimmings and skins, broccoli stalks, green bean trimmings, parsley stems, carrot peels, celery leaves and heart, tomato skin, zucchini and yellow squash blossom ends? Also good are garlic cloves, bay leaves from other soup, potato peels, and little servings of leftovers.

After straining the broth, I compost the veggies. I like to split the broth into several jugs, like from juice or V-8, and freeze the whole bottles, keeping one in the fridge for using right away. The only problem is you have so much you can barely use it before it's time to make some more.

No comments: