Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The secret to home-made hummus

Once, I was buying pre-made hummus at the store, and a lady came up to me, saying "Don't buy that, it's so easy to make your own!" And I was all like, "You don't know me!" I felt personally insulted she couldn't tell that I was totally DIY, and simply chose not to make my own hummus anymore because it never turned out very well. Too chunky, too dry, and no manner of added oil or liquid could make it right. I shamefully bought my hummus and resumed trying every so often to make some that was any good.



I have since discovered the secret- skin the beans! This time I cooked my own overnight in the crockpot so they were super-soft, and then popped each little chickpea out of it's skin before processing it, adding olive oil, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and some bean water to moisten. The result- smooth, creamy, delicious. It took me about half an hour to skin 3 cups of beans.

No comments: